The Lost Sister

Journey of a Groningen Girl

Hostel life........NOT like home! We were NOT grateful to be THERE!

Anneke and I both arrived as children, taken to Bonegilla "migrant reception centre".
(Back on my soap-box:) Photos and descriptions of post-war immigrants "grateful" to be accommodated in the ex-army facilities, always irritate me - O.K. - only a little!
My parents, naively did the "Inpakken en wegwezen" (Pack up and Go) with only the sister-in-law and her family, of friend, Gerard van Hoorn, as connections, in Applecross, near Perth, to go to.
Only when the migrant ship docked, in Fremantle, my parents and Gerard and Gerda van Hoorn heard from this distant relative's husband, (on the dock, down below) that there was no work, there.
Travelling on to Bonegilla Migrant Hostel, on the border of Victoria and N.S.W., was then the only alternative offered.
After the shock of Bonegilla, Scheyville, near Windsor, near Sydney, was less of a shock.
Come and have a look, on May 15.
A lovely park now.
I was there too briefly, as a boy of 12, to remember it well and, at the time did not explore it much.
The next hostel, Villawood, was the place where I had friends, who were also in 6th grade, with whom I explored the hostel grounds and shared attending school.
Come get an impression of hostel life, May 15, in Scheyville!!
Memorabilia isbeing shown and collected on that day!!!

Tags: australian, dutch, migrant, ozcloggie, stories

Views: 72

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Joop

I have to agree that the whole thing about 'migrants being grateful' is so over done in those days. Most of the migrants came from fairly steady backgrounds! I know Anneke was shocked about the conditons and so was I when I visited Bonegilla recently. Aargh! I would not have liked it at all!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Book Launch of The Sky Is My Religion at the 'Dancing Under The Sky Exhibition', Ubud, Bali, October 4th, 2012

The Sky Is My Religion
Special Edition
By Poems by Nell Jones
Photo book

Article featuring the Lost Sister of Groningen

Article by Donna Page April 8, 2011, Newcastle HeraldNewcastle Herald

Article by Donna Page Newcastle Herald April 8th 2011

The Lost Sister at Ubud Writers and Readers Festival

Anneke and Nell interviewed by Joop Mul for the Dutch Australian Cultural Centre

"

SBS Dutch Radio Page with Interview

Notes

About the Author

Created by Nell Jones Jul 24, 2010 at 7:02pm. Last updated by Nell Jones Jun 24, 2021.

The Dutch Touch on ABC Open

Created by Nell Jones Nov 2, 2013 at 11:40am. Last updated by Nell Jones Nov 2, 2013.

About the Artist

Created by Nell Jones Jul 24, 2010 at 6:41pm. Last updated by Nell Jones Feb 3, 2013.

Novel Synopsis

Created by Nell Jones Jul 24, 2010 at 5:36pm. Last updated by Nell Jones Jul 24, 2010.

Writing the Novel

Created by Nell Jones Jul 24, 2010 at 5:13pm. Last updated by Nell Jones Jul 24, 2010.

Poems

Created by Nell Jones Jul 24, 2010 at 3:52pm. Last updated by Nell Jones Jul 24, 2010.

Notes Home

Created by Nell Jones Jul 24, 2010 at 3:31pm. Last updated by Nell Jones Jul 24, 2010.

© 2024   Created by Nell Jones.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service